The TopFlex H05V-K and H07V-K is especially suitable for domestic electrical installations. They can also be used for wiring…
Types of Electrical home Wiring Cables
Índice de contenidos
- Types of Electrical home Wiring Cables
- Domestic electrical cable cross-section
- Topflex® cable for domestic electrical installations
- Electrical cables colours, according to Standard
- Domestic electrical cable gauge
- Periodic installation testing would prevent 490 deaths
- General recommendations to avoid electrical accidents
Through different electric cables types, the electric current is transported from the service box to the home circuits.
Domestic electrical cable cross-section
In a domestic installation, the electrical current to flow through determines the electrical cable sizes (or cross-section). For example, an air conditioning unit requires more current to operate than a lamp. Therefore, the cable cross-section connecting the air conditioning unit will be larger than the one connecting the light.
Topflex® cable for domestic electrical installations
The TopFlex® H05V-K and H07V-K cable is particularly suitable for domestic electrical installations. These flexible cables ease the installation, particularly where manoeuvring in tight spaces may be an issue. Cables are supplied in carton recycled highly resistant boxes (100 or 200 metres), with clearly differentiated colours according to the required cross-section.
Electrical cables colours, according to Standard
According to each cross-section, the colours range is: white, brown, red, green-yellow, grey and black. TopFlex® H05V-K and H07V-K cables are designed following international Standards UNE-EN 50525 and IEC 60227. Also, they comply with the European Regulations that apply to CPR (Construction Product Regulation) electrical cables.
Domestic electrical cable gauge
Cable cross-section and functionality
The minimum recommended cross-section for domestic cabling is:
- 5 mm2 diameter for lighting and automation.
- 2,5 mm2 diameter for general-purpose sockets, bathroom and kitchen.
- 4 mm2 diameter for washing machine, dryer, dishwasher and electric boiler (in this circuit only, each socket can be connected using a 2,5 mm2 conductor starting from a 4 mm2 circuit junction box).
- 6 mm2 diameter for kitchen and oven, air conditioning and heating.
Safety in domestic electrical installations
According to the 2019 NFPA Research:
- Local fire departments responded to an estimated average of 35,150 home fires involving electrical distribution and lighting equipment each year in 2012-2016.
- Home fires involving electrical distribution and lighting equipment caused an estimated average of 490 civilian deaths and 1,200 civilian injuries each year in 2012-2016, as well as an estimated $1.3 billion in direct property damage a year.
- Home fires involving electrical distribution and lighting equipment most often originated in a bedroom (17% of total), attic or ceiling (12%), or a wall assembly or concealed space (9%).
- Approximately one-quarter (24%) of these fires occurred between midnight and 8 a.m., but these fires accounted for 60% of deaths.
Among the most recurrent deficiencies, the report identifies insufficient cable cross-sections, lack of circuits, absence of protective elements and non-existence of cable earthing.
Periodic installation testing would prevent 490 deaths
Checking electrical installations would prevent 490 civilian deaths and 1,200 civilian injuries each year. Material losses, damages and losses are estimated at more than 100 million euros per year.
General recommendations to avoid electrical accidents
Top Cable insists on a series of general recommendations to avoid electrical accidents, such as:
- Do not overcharge the electrical extension cords and multiplugs
- Unplugging the devices when going to sleep
- Do not leave your mobile phone plugged in for hours
- Do not plug any appliance into any socket
- Installing electrical differentials in homes as it is an element that controls the intensity of the electrical current that is capable of cutting off the current if it notices a leakage
- Periodically check the electrical installation